Sunday, August 26, 2012

Loving Fall Festivals

I forgot that this time of year brings all sorts of fun festivals to light. Something entertaining to do for the kids and a great way to enjoy this excellent weather we have been having. Yes, I'm still on count down to when the pool closes and it depresses me every time I think about it, but there is also joy in changing seasons and we are having fun tapping in on the activities.

Yesterday was our little town centre's annual Founders Day celebration. Complete with a parade. Connor decided that when he is "old" he is gonna join the Shriners Club so that he can drive one of those little cars. They were loaded up with candy and ready to start their day. There were no big floats and extravagant affairs but for a local community, it was fun and we had a great time watching all the local sponsors from the Cub Scouts, the local Ski Club, HS Cheerleaders, dance squads, horse clubs, vintage cars. Well, you get the idea.


Poor hubby is in the middle of rebuilding our front porch steps so while he and Keegan were working on that, the other boys and I ran up to the Towne Center to see the old time car show, and walk around and soak up the great weather and see all of the activities. It was a hopping place.

So, being the good and patient mother ( I did mention patient right?) that I am, I stood in line for about 1 hour and 15 min. so that the boys could get these extravagant balloon shapes. My dogs were barking (feet) and the line moved so slow because there was only one guy making the balloons. But man, his creations were incredible. What else did I have to do with my time? (insert smirk here). But in the end, they got these cool creations and Caiden was sooooo excited with his monkey on a palm tree and felt so special walking around and having everyone ooohhhh and aaahhhh over his balloon.


I waited in line a long time for these balloons darn it. So I've gotta show more than one photo to help justify my time:-)


Last weekend we went to a festival in Historic St. Charles. It was huge with tons of vendors and loads of food. The weather was perfect and we spent several hours as a family enjoying all the booths. Which is saying a lot considering we now have a 14 year old in the house and even he seemed to have fun.


Historic St. Charles is a long, long street that is loaded with lots of small mom and pop shops where you can find everything from quilting stores, knick knacks, all things England store, an Irish store, Florals, Crafts, and wonderful restaurants. The streets are still paved with original brick roads. If you are ever in St. Louis, this is a great area to visit.

On one side of the street, most of the homes have been converted into shops. Although there are still some private residences intertwined within. I always think that would be so cool to have a house right there but you would really lack the privacy.






We alway love when we see the craft tents that have all of the metal creations turned into animals and objects. I was totally coveting this plant monster creation. If I would have had some spare $ to drop, he would have been in my car!


There was an entire other shopping area down a level by the Missouri River. I had the fortune of meeting a local lamp worker in person too - Peri Hogrebe  Holy cow. Her booth was huge and I had never seen so many lampwork beads from one artist all in one location. She had so much to look at. I think I have maybe .2% of her inventory. She had some beautiful things and it was great to meet her.


So if there are fun festivals in your area, make sure to go and visit them. It's a great outing and helps support so many local artists, local businesses, and organizations. We came home from this trip with 3 waxed cast hands that the boys made at one of the art studios, a back scratcher that Caiden just had to have (yea, I know. strange) and 2 jelly fish necklaces for 2 of the boys that are made out of real tiny jelly fish encased in class and they glow in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment